Migration and Struggle in Greece

Thessaloniki: 13-year-old Serbian girl dies in a tragic accident, her mother to be deported

Posted by clandestina on 3 December 2013

A 13-year-old girl of Serbian origin has died of carbon monoxide poisoning in an apartment in Thessaloniki, northern Greece.
The young girl and her mother used indoors a barbecue apparatus in order to heat themselves, as DEI (the electricity supply company in Greece) has cut-off electricity because of unpaid bills.
The mother was arrested for involuntary homicide. Given the circumstances, the prosecutor let her free for the criminal part of the case. But then … the Immigration Police came in: they discovered the mother had not renewed her residence permit, and they gave her 30 days to leave the country …

After the scandal generated, the ministry of public order decided to grant a 6-months residence permit for humanitarian reasons…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: